Stampin' Up! products are not sold in stores but may be purchased at home workshops or through a network of independent sales consultants called Stampin' Up! demonstrators. As a demonstrator I sell this exclusive line of top quality decorative stamp sets and accessories for greeting cards, scrapbooking, craft projects, and home decor.



Monday, July 19, 2010

Challenge: Flower Power

It's time for more challenges! I found a fun one over at Paper Playtime. They have a challenge every Monday and this is their first sponsored challenge. For this challenge we were to create any kind of paper project inspired by the following theme:

Alongside butterflies and owls, flowers are one of my faves! That being said, it took a while for me to narrow down what I wanted to do for this challenge, and ultimately I decided it would be a great chance to try making a paper flower bow that I learned about on Tammy's YouTube channel. I used the swiss dots cuttlebug folder on the bottom and left the top blank, ready for a sentiment when the time comes. Hope you like it!

Basic Ribbon Ingredients:

4 strips of cardstock at 1" x 8
button
needle
thread

Instructions:
  • Loop each of your strips individually and adhere them together where they overlap.
  • Bend each loop in half (avoid creasing the ends - you want to keep them rounded as the petals of the flower) with the overlapped part at the bottom center.
  • Place two loops on top of each other making an "X" shape. Repeat with remaining two loops and then combine to get the shape below (so that no loop is directly over top of another loop.
  • Thread your needle and tie a good knot in the end. Poke your needle through the center of the bottom of the loop stack, making sure to go through each piece of paper.
  • Once you've poked the needle through the center of the top thread it through your button and then back down through the loop stack.
  • Tie the thread in a good knot again at the bottom of the loop stack (should now have two good knots at the bottom and a button on the top.
  • You should now have a simple paper flower bow :)
  • To create a larger flower, add more strips - each set of four should be increasingly larger than the first set (usually by 1 inch).
  • I then cut out a flower on my Cricut (using MTC) at 2 inches to place underneath the paper flower.

5 comments:

Janis Lewis said...

This is so cool. What a neat-o flower. I'm going to go check out that site to learn how to make a flower like this. You did a GREAT job on your card. I love it! Thank you so much for playing in paper with us this week with FLOWER POWER at Paper Playtime. :) Janis

Janis Lewis said...

Hi, I went to the site, but couldn't find the instructions for the paper flower. Do you know the direct link? Thanks. Or can you post instructions? Janis

Annie said...

Thanks for the feedback - I had a lot of fun making this flower! I posted the direct link to Tammy's YouTube channel with the video I based my flower on and I also posted instructions for my version of the flower (as it is a smaller, simpler version of the flower Tammy made). Hope this helps :)

Lisa said...

This card is so cute! Love that homeade flower! Thanks for joining us at Paper Playtime this week!

Georgiana said...

I love that flower. I am going to give it a try too. Thanks for sharing.